Treating cancer in the U.S is a big business! As any other big industry, cancer industry is too prosperous to allow a cure. It looks on people as costumers and the conventional treatments it offers actually increase the chance that you will become a repeat costumer. But, believe it or not, chemotherapy and radiation have been found to promote cancer.
Although cancer is able to be survived, the conventional treatments being used cause irreparable damage, including starting off new, seconds cancers.
Seconds cancers are not linked to the original cancers, but it can be provoked by the same imbalances or agents which led to the development of the first one. Doctors often refer to the risk of second cancer as “friendly fire”, which is the treatment for one cancer leading to the initiating of the second cancer.
The strong relation between chemotherapy and radiation and the initiation of second cancers has been long known. As a matter of fact, the American Cancer Society admits that both chemo and radiation are carcinogenic and may increase the risk for second cancer. However, the oncologists fail to inform the patients about this and the public is still being kept in the dark.
Chemotherapy works by damaging the DNA of cancer cells and dividing them very fast. The problem with this treatment is that it also affects healthy cells. The risk for second cancer depends on the dose as well as on the duration of the treatment.
AML (acute lymphocytic leukemia) and MDS (myelodysplastic syndrome) are the two most common cancers associated with chemotherapy drugs.
Apart from the well-known risk from radiation to cancer, including atomic bombs blasts in Japan, and the mounting evidence connecting cell phones to cancer, radiation therapy has been also recognized as carcinogenic. It works similarly to chemotherapy, meaning that it kills of cancer cells but it affects healthy ones, too.Radiation therapy has been associated with the occurrence of tumors of the bone, stomach, lung, and a few leukemia`s like AML (acute myelogenous leukemia), CML (chronic myelogenous leukemia) and ALL (acute lymphoblastic leukemia).THE LINKS BETWEEN CHEMOTHERAPY AND RADIATION TO SECOND CANCERS ARE KNOWN AND VAST
- Cancer treatments are associated with a higher risk for subsequent neoplasms for childhood cancer survivors
- Stem cell transplants raise the risk of second cancers and suppression of the immune system from chemo and radiation used
- Chemotherapy has been associated with the initiation of testicular cancer
- Chemotherapy used to treat breast cancer and lymphomas may initiate bladder cancer
- Radiation used to treat prostate may lead to carcinomas
- Radiation used to treat breast cancer increases the risk for lung cancer
- Patients given immunosuppressive medications like nitrogen mustard, cyclophosphamide, and chlorambucil used during organ transplants are shown to develop second cancers
- Drugs like Tafinlar and Zelboraf used to treat melanoma are associated with higher risk of squamous cell carcinomas of the skin
- Topoisomerase II inhibitors like Mitoantrone, Teniposide, and Etoposide, which are used to prevent cells from being able to repair DNA, may cause leukemia within 2-3 years
- Alkylating chemotherapy agents like cyclophosphamide, chlorambucil, melahalan, and mechlorethamine, interfere with cell`s DNA may cause MDS and AML
- Non-alkylating chemotherapy agents like carboplatin and cisplatin attack cancer cells and increase the risk for leukemia. The risk depends on the dose and whether radiation is given along the way or not.