From common colds to cancer, baking soda has been found to treat a wide range of health issues. This common kitchen ingredient is also beneficial for oral health, personal hygiene, cleaning and more.
Some of the reasons why you should always have a package of baking soda at hand include its ability to prevent and treat diarrhea, metabolic acidosis, acidity, peptic ulcer, and drug intoxication. Moreover, this cheap versatile medicine can improve skin quality due to its antipruritic properties. As a result of its high sodium content, baking soda also prevents hyperkalemia, bladder infection and kidney stones.
This article focuses on some less known uses of baking soda.
OLD WIVES’ REMEDIES
- To relieve muscle soreness after strenuous workout, drink a mix of baking soda and water.
- To remove grime and nail fungus, put some baking soda on a used nail brush and scrub your nails.
- To relieve itching, soreness and odor on your feet and hands, combine 3 tbs. baking soda, 1 tbs. peppermint essential oil, 1 tbs. salt and some warm water then soak your hands/feet in it.
- To refresh your breath and fight oral infections, mix some baking soda with water and use it to gargle with it.
- To whiten your teeth, use baking soda instead of toothpaste.
- To remove excess facial oil and dead skin cells, make baking soda scrub – 1 tbs. baking soda and 1 tsp. water.
- To relieve bee stings, insect bites, itching from poison ivy, oak, apply some baking soda on the affected area.
- To speed up the recovery of canker sores and herpes, apply a mixture of baking soda and water on the sore.
HOME REMEDIES FOR ACID REFLUX
- To effectively reduce acid reflux, combine ½ tsp. baking soda with 2 tbs. fresh lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar. Make sure you’re using a bigger cup as it’ll fizz. When the fizz subsides, add 8 oz. water. Drink all at once. The remedy relieves acid reflux by neutralizing the pH in your digestive tract and creating an alkaline environment in your body.
- To relieve heartburn and GERD symptoms, mix ½ tsp. baking soda with 16 oz. water.
OTHER BAKING SODA HOME REMEDIES
Alternative baking soda uses have been exploited in the book, Sodium Bicarbonate, where the author, Dr. Mark Sircus, also explains Dr. Simoncini’s findings on the effects of baking soda on cancer development. According to Dr. Mark, a mixture of baking soda and molasses can effectively prevent systematic fungal infections and protect against diabetes and cancer.
- To eliminate oral thrush, mix baking soda and water and gargle with it.
- To treat urinary tract infections, drink 8 oz. water and ½ tsp. baking soda, twice a day.
- To relieve thrombosis, use a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- To eliminate Candida yeast and stop itching, douche with a mixture of 1 tbs. baking soda and warm water.
- Pregnant or nursing women, as well as children under 5, should avoid using baking soda remedies. Baking soda can interfere with the effects of prescription medications, so it must be used with extreme caution, and only after your doctor’s approval.
- Baking soda should only be used dissolved, never as a powder.
- Stay away from baking soda home remedies if you’re on a low sodium diet because it can deplete your body of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Last, but not least, don’t use baking soda remedies for more than two weeks without consulting your doctor first.