Vick VapoRub is ointment and it is used as treatment for fever, nasal congestion, cold, it is applied on muscles and joints for minor aches and pains and many other ailments. It is one of the most commonly used over-the-counter drugs.
In today’s article we are going to write one story that will make you question its use, and this particularly refers to parents who have small children as use of Vick VapoRub may have fatal consequences to small children.
One Mexican mother tells her tragedy and her intention is to warn other parents and prevent someone else to go through the hell she’s living: the loss of her 2-years-old baby.
This mother came back from work and entered into her baby’s room. She got near to kiss her son and she felt he had a fever. She assumed that it was just a common cold and instead visiting doctor, she decided to use a home remedy to relieve him.
She rubbed Vick VapoRub on his chest, back and under his nose to help him breathe a bit easier. Then, she tucked him up and lied next to her baby boy. She was very tired and fell asleep. When she woke up few hours later she noticed that her son wasn’t breathing. She immediately took him to the hospital to save him. Unfortunately it was too late – the baby was already dead.
According to the medical expert, the child died due to inflammation in the respiratory track, produced by the camphor contained in the famous ointment.
This mother couldn’t image that use of this home remedy will end fatal. She wanted to help her baby to breathe, but the ointment did exactly the opposite.
It is fact that the Vick VapoRub is efficient treatment for adults, but when it comes to babies younger than 2 years, this ointment increases the mucus by 60%. The mucus accumulates on the trachea blocks the breathing.
At the label of this product there is warning that the ointment is contraindicated and should not be used for children younger the age of 3.
Sadly, this Mexican mother didn’t read the label and didn’t noticed this warning.
Regardless of the fact that certain home remedies can be used for several affections, but this story should be warning and should draw your attention about this fact: when children are concerned, you need to read the labels and ask for the advice of doctor or pharmacist before use any over-the-counter drug.