Gout is a metabolic disorder in which defective metabolism of uric acid leads to arthritis, especially in the small bones of the feet, deposition of chalkstones, and acute pain episodes. This results in stiffness and swelling. The main reason behind gout is excessive amount of uric acid which gathers because of the inefficient removal of waste or excessive creation of it.
Uric acid is a byproduct of purines which are a part of many foods. People, who suffer from gout, frequently, but not necessarily, will have higher levels of uric acid in the blood. However, only a small percentage of people who suffer from hyperuricemia will develop gout.
When the kidneys are unable to properly remove the uric acid, crystallization takes place and piles up around the joints, resulting in inflammation. Luckily, there are ways to remove uric acid on your own and thus, better your overall health. The first thing you need to do is to lead a healthier lifestyle by eating healthy and working out regularly. Your diet needs to be consisted of fruits and veggies, seafood, lean meat, and unprocessed grains. The intake of processed sugars like high fructose corn syrup, foods rich in saturated fats, and alcohol needs to be reduced to a minimum.
Furthermore, it’s crucial to drink a lot of water in order for the body to remain hydrated and to improve the removal of toxins and uric acid. Along with water, you can also drink natural drinks without sugar, fruit-infused water, and herbal tea.
Natural tonics against gout
- Baking soda-add half a tsp of baking soda to one glass of water and drink this mixture daily. If you’re experiencing a gout attack, use a whole tsp.
- Lemon water-when the body’s environment is more alkaline than acidic, health problems, gout included, are easily prevented. Hence, lemon water is known to increase the body’s alkalinity and thus, prevent the formation of uric acid crystals. You need to drink a mixture of squeezed half lemon and 200 ml of warm water every morning before breakfast.
- Apple cider vinegar-same as lemon, apple cider vinegar makes the body more alkaline. Malic acid, present in ACV, disintegrates uric acid and aids its removal from the body. You need to drink a mixture of 200 ml of water and a tbsp of ACV every day before meals.
In order to prevent gout, you should consume more of the following foods:
- Curcumin-a substance in turmeric, whose role is renal protection. Curcumin also possesses anti-inflammatory properties.
- Bromelain-present in pineapples, bromelain has anti-inflammatory characteristics and analgesic effects.
- Flaxseed-it has the power to lower uric acid.