Families were concerned on what was going on inside woman’s house after she was not seen walking out with her 10-year-old son for days, when police check on their safety they were shocked on what was found around them.
Family and neighbors become concerned when Sommer Leann Hyatt, 32, hadn’t been seen or heard from in a few days.
Police were dispatched to her home in Hensley, Arkansas on April 13 of last year. That’s when they made the harrowing discovery.
When they entered the home, they found Hyatt and her 10-year-old son in bed together. They also noticed two opened medicine bottles labeled Alprazolam — also known by the trade name Xanax — and Sertraline on a nightstand, according to the affidavit.
Hyatt was described as “lethargic,” having “slow speech responses” and being “pale in color.” Apparently, it was a murder/suicide attempt.
According to Arkansas Online, Hyatt’s brother told authorities she told him she had taken 50 Xanax pills before law enforcement arrived. A first-responder at the scene told a deputy sheriff that Hyatt may have also given her son Xanax, a powerful sedative primarily used to treat anxiety and panic disorders.
Mother and son were rushed to separate hospitals where they were treated. While being transported to University of Arkansas Medical Sciences, Hyatt reportedly said she intended to kill her son and take her own life, according to Arkansas Online.
The child was released from Arkansas Children’s Hospital and is recuperating.
The father, who was not named, filed a motion for an emergency order of protection and change of custody regarding his son.
Hyatt, however, was arrested upon release from the hospital and her charges included attempted murder and endangering the welfare of a minor. She was booked in the Saline County Detention Center and later released on a $100,000 bond.
This is a sad story that had a happy ending, but it could have been avoided since the mother was obviously unstable and in need of psychiatric intervention.
But what is the effect of taking too many Xanax? Can you really overdose on it? Watch the video below.